Re: A modern-mode?

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: A modern-mode?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 17:00:58 +0200

>> Easy-mode as opposed to expert, obviously. ;)
>> Starter-mode
>> Familiar-mode
>> Familiar-defaults-easy-start-mode? ;)
>

> newbie-mode
> ___________
>
> Someone who's a newbie and sees "Newbie"
> can think (at least) two things:
>
> 1. It's easy, intended for newbies, so maybe
>    it's for me, at least for now.
>
> 2. Maybe it's something I might want to grow
>    out of.  It's maybe not the "real" or "full"
>    thing.  There's more to Emacs than this mode.
>
> #1 can encourage a newbie, especially if timid,
> to try it.
>
> #2 can encourage someone to move beyond it, and
> discover and use more of Emacs.
>
> The Emacs Wiki has long had pages that aimed
> especially at newbies, and referred to as such.
> They've helped a lot of people, and I've never
> seen a negative reaction to use of the term
> "newbie".
>
> This is like "training wheels" for someone
> learning to ride a bike.  You trust them, use
> them to help you get going, but you want to
> get to a point where you can really ride
> without them.
And then you will see threads on Reddit & elswhere asking when it is
appropriate to switch to "true Emacs mode"; should I learn this and then
switch to Emacs original etc; just as there already are such threads
considerinv Evil & Emacs interaction models.

Newbie-mode and numacs are bad names, in my opinion.