RE: How to make Emacs popular again.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How to make Emacs popular again.
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2020 15:36:09 -0700 (PDT)

> >> I think something like:
> >>
> >>     Also documented in the >Emacs user's manual<.
> >>     Also documented in the >ELisp programmer's reference<.
> >>
> >> should be clear enough (where >...< is meant to delimit the hyperlink).
> >
> > That won't help with functions (vars, faces, etc.)
> > covered in other manuals: CL, Tramp, Org, Dired-X,
> > Calc, Ediff, etc.
>
> Why not?  I'd expect them to appear as things like:
>      Also documented in >Calc's manual<.

I meant that it won't help now (as is, with `Info-lookup').

Yes, links to such manuals would help.

But if we are going to do this for more, or all, names
referred to in *Help*, and not just for the name that's
the subject of the *Help*, then "Also documented in..."
would become a real drag.

Instead, we should let you get to the info in a manual
from the occurrence of the name itself in the buffer,
just as we now do with a link to its own *Help*.  That
is, do it only for quoted (`...'), linked names.

The same link can't go to two different places when you
use the same key (e.g. `mouse-1' or `RET').  But it can
go to a different place (or places) if we provide more
bindings at that location.

E.g., bind `C-h mouse-1' to do it.  (And `C-h S RET'
with point on the link already does it.)  Change the
`help-echo' to indicate this go-to-manual behavior.

Do that and there's no need for umpteen "Also documented
in..." additions to the buffer.  The links are already
there, in context, for each recognized name.

(If we can easily/quickly tell whether a given linked
name `...' is documented in a manual then we can also
omit any `help-echo' about checking the manual for it
when there's no manual that covers it.)