Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Adrien Brochard
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 11:16:24 -0400

Thank you for your feedback!

I've read many emails on this thread now and I think we've reached a
point where some action needs to be taken. I have purchased
emacssurvey.org and I will proceed to:
- digest all the feedback I got into a final list of questions
- announce the survey opening date on as many channels as I can
- build emacssurvey.org as a no-JS site such that everyone can visit it
- on the survey start date, emacssurvey.org will have two options for
submitting responses
  - visit the questionnaire as plain text and email it to a dedicated
address hosted on emacssurvey.org (which will be possible from Emacs)
  - use an online form which will potentially require non-free JS
- the survey will remain open for 6 weeks, plus some extra time for late
responders
- I will post on as many channels every week to remind people who
haven't responded yet (but obviously not share any partial results)
- after the survey is over and all data is compiled, all results will be
released on emacssurvey.org (and again it will be viewable from Emacs)

By hosting the survey on a different website, I am hoping to accomplish
something similar to the "Devil as Install Fest"
(https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/install-fest-devil.en.html).

What we could still discuss is a disclaimer on emacssurvey.org to be
explicit on how gnu.org is not sponsoring the survey questions. It would
be really helpful if gnu.org could link to emacssurvey.org, but if not,
that's ok too.