Re: Rethinking the design of xwidgets

From: Akira Kyle
Subject: Re: Rethinking the design of xwidgets
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 14:52:22 -0600

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 12:44 PM, Qiantan Hong <qhong@mit.edu> wrote:

I agree that displaying a live updating rectangle/slider following the mouse is near impossible.

For selecting region, supporting two mouse click should be totally doable. For selecting data series, read-from-minibuffer together with user’s favorite completion/fuzzy search package should be suffice. Those are discrete event. But do we really need continuous event that much? E.g. what useful information is exchanged between computer/user when drawing a rectangle following user’s mouse? It seems to me that only the starting and ending position matters. More here http://cat-v.mit.edu/2019-10-15-mouse-considered-harmful.html

I totally agree that "Mouse considered harmful for most daily usage" however selecting a region is definitely one in which having the region highlighted as one drags the mouse is "continuous 2D data". This actually drives me crazy when I use pdf-view-set-slice-from-bounding-box in pdf-tools. As I'm always on my laptop, getting the bounding box of the pdf content as tight as possible is important but its hard to judge the full extent of the rectangle I made with just two points.

However, if everyone decides that every event mouse spits out matters (which is a lot),
then it is the case that image display won’t work good enough.

Wouldn't it be fun to be able to free form draw inside emacs? :)