Re: Rethinking the design of xwidgets

From: Akira Kyle
Subject: Re: Rethinking the design of xwidgets
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 18:33:03 -0600

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 01:06 PM, joakim@verona.se wrote:

Yes, I think that sounds more realistic than my original plan to expose
the gobject api to lisp.

Thanks! I'm glad it's at least somewhat sane sounding.

BTW did you look at the widget that allows embedding of other
applications? I had some success embedding emacs inside emacs using this
widget, and maybe it has evolved during the years.

I assume you're referring to the XEMBED protocol which I haven't really looked at. I've actually been using the pgtk port [1] in developing this to ensure I'm not tying myself to X as so much of Emacs' display code has been as it evolved. Also there's some rendering issue [2] with xwidgets under X which causes a lot of flickering of the webkitgtk widget. I have yet to look into it, but it doesn't seem to affect pgtk or ns.

[1] https://github.com/masm11/emacs
[2] https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=41609