Re: master ec9523a: Add a keybinding to the help menu to display manuals

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master ec9523a: Add a keybinding to the help menu to display manuals
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 10:43:44 +0300

On October 15, 2020 10:00:12 AM GMT+03:00, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
wrote:

> >> files under info/ end in ".info".  Are there known cases of
> >> extensionless info files that do not correspond to a file ending in
> >> ".info" or ".info.gz" (or another compression suffix)?  If not,
> then
> >> removing that bit of the code will prevent the current false
> positives.
> >
> > It used to be common to have Info files with names like `foo`,
> `foo-1`,
> > `foo-2`, ...  Splitting Info files has gotten out of fashion due to
> the
> > growing size of RAM, and the use of a `.info` extension has grown
> > a lot too.  Maybe we could start assuming that all those files
> nowadays
> > have a `.info` extension?
>
> I had a look in
>
> /usr/share/info/
>
> here, and it looks like they all have .info in their names.

I have in my /usr/share/info gobs of old Info files without any extension.  So
please let's not make any changes that would exclude them from completion by
this command.

If someone has files in Info-related directories that are not Info files, they
should get their act together.  And if we do that on ELPA, let's get our act
together, instead of making breaking changes like that.