Re: Suggest installing more fonts?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Suggest installing more fonts?
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 17:31:52 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 12:28:14 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> So we could at least list that, and then expand the help, if we have
> >> the stamina, to also include some fonts.
> >
> > This I don't think I understand, at least not fully.  We can show the
> > script and suggest to install some font that covers that script, this
> > is clear.  But what did you mean by "and include some fonts"? name
> > some specific fonts? how can we do that when the fonts aren't
> > installed?
>
> That's where the stamina comes in -- we'd have to maintain a list of
> fonts that we think are nice for the scripts in question.  How
> extensive, of course, depends on how much work we want to put into it.

That brings us back to the issue of how many fonts for how many
different system configurations will we need to know about and have
up-to-date information.

I think nowadays it should be enough to say something like "we
recommend to install a font for displaying the TaiViet script", it is
easy to find fonts with this information.