Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was R

From: Tomas Hlavaty
Subject: Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was Rethinking the design of xwidgets)
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2020 08:44:39 +0100

On Mon 30 Nov 2020 at 10:03, Akira Kyle <akira@akirakyle.com> wrote:
> and because I see pgtk as the future of Emacs on GNU/Linux systems as
> X becomes increasingly obsolete.

I am not sure such future is bright.

In that future, is there no way to do graphics without a widget toolkit?

> AFAIU the pgtk version, like the ns version it was modeled after,
> doesn't implement everything in the main frame area of Emacs as
> widgets, only the tool and menu bars are implemented as proper
> widgets.

Also popup menus that pop up on a mouse click are gtk iirc.

And maybe scrollbars?

It may have changed since I turned these distractions off a long time
ago.

I think that they are also fundamentally flawed: How can I search in
menu?  Maybe it should be a buffer.  New Gtk hides menu under an
unintuitive button anyway so this could just display searchable Menu
buffer.

> The main frame area is treated as just one big canvas that redisplay
> works its magic on as it would if it were just a TUI.

Maybe that is a good thing.

Widget toolkit dependency is a heavy price to pay for.