Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was R

From: Akira Kyle
Subject: Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was Rethinking the design of xwidgets)
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2020 17:24:14 -0700

On Tue, Dec 01, 2020 at 12:44 AM, Tomas Hlavaty <tom@logand.com> wrote:

On Mon 30 Nov 2020 at 10:03, Akira Kyle <akira@akirakyle.com> wrote:
and because I see pgtk as the future of Emacs on GNU/Linux systems as
X becomes increasingly obsolete.

I am not sure such future is bright.

In that future, is there no way to do graphics without a widget toolkit?

Sure there is. Under wayland you can just dump pixels into a shared buffer to render them to the screen or use EGL to render using a GPU. The difference from X is that wayland offers no convince functions to actually draw pixels into such a buffer, its up to the client to do so. In order to not reinvent the wheel, its much more convenient to use a toolkit to draw the elements it's good at drawing.
AFAIU the pgtk version, like the ns version it was modeled after, doesn't implement everything in the main frame area of Emacs as widgets, only the tool and menu bars are implemented as proper widgets.

Also popup menus that pop up on a mouse click are gtk iirc.

And maybe scrollbars?

It may have changed since I turned these distractions off a long time
ago.

I think this is really ultimately a personal preference.

I think that they are also fundamentally flawed: How can I search in
menu?  Maybe it should be a buffer.  New Gtk hides menu under an
unintuitive button anyway so this could just display searchable Menu
buffer.

I think it would be possible to implement such menus without GTK using just child frames.

The main frame area is treated as just one big canvas that redisplay
works its magic on as it would if it were just a TUI.

Maybe that is a good thing.

Widget toolkit dependency is a heavy price to pay for.

I don't think it's a "heavy price to pay" in general. It greatly simplifies many applications, which if they were to forego a toolkit, would likely have codebases comparable to GTK or Emacs. But its true that Emacs is far more decoupled, for better or worse, from toolkits than your average GUI app.