Re: non-gnu elpa issue tracking

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: non-gnu elpa issue tracking
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 03:09:02 +0300

* Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@gmail.com> [2020-12-10 02:23]:

> > My opinion is that non-GNU ELPA and GNU ELPA both should never point
> > to any website that has any proprietary Javascript or promotes
> > proprietary software, specifically hyperlinks to Github better be
> > removed completely.
> >

> Without backlinks to the original repositories, how will people know where
> to report bugs with packages installed from non-GNU ELPA?

My opinion is that nothing offered within Emacs, be it ELPA packages
or now non-GNU ELPA packages should guide users to any non-free
software, especially not websites with non-free Javascript like
Github.

Author name should be there, email address and there can be URL as
per: (info "(elisp) Simple Packages")

I would change that URL to point to non-GNU ELPA repository as it
becomes not only plain distributor but slight fork of the
package. There is nothing wrong with it. People can still use author's
name and email to report directly.

Remember that this does not prevent other users of any other website
such as MELPA to use their hyperlinks how they like. T

This opinion is for specifically for Emacs that should never point to
non-free websites and relates to ELPA as well.

So I do not see any real problem there. Those using MELPA will do what
they wish. And those using non-GNU ELPA would report there where
developers decide, but not on Github, provided this type of proposal
is accepted.