Re: Using funcall on inline functions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Using funcall on inline functions
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2020 13:12:06 -0500

> Hmm, interesting. I guess I would feel a little weird about having to
> change all callers specifically for this -- I can see myself six months
> from now having no memory of doing this, and causing bugs for myself.

Yeah, `gv-ref` is not super popular, indeed.  Can't blame you.

>> [ BTW, your `ebdb-add-to-list` has a bug in that it will evaluate its
>> second argument before its first. ]
> inline-letevals! But, for my information, isn't the bug that ELEMENT is
> evaluated twice?

Oh, yeah, that as well.

> Why does the order of evaluation matter?

Because in ELisp order of evaluation of function arguments is specified
to be "left to right" and code can (and does every once in a while) rely
on it.  It's not super-frequent, but not really rare either (e.g. it's
quite common for things like `delete-region`).

        Stefan