Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 11:32:49 -0500

On 12/15/20 9:29 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Of 7.3K respondents, 5K disable toolbars, which is more than two
>> thirds.  So perhaps toolbars should default to off?  I know toolbars
>> were all the rage in the 90s, but that's apparently not the case now.
>
> FWIw, I believe the toolbar should behave a bit more like the
> header-line: it should not "default to off" but instead it should only
> exist in those buffers where it is useful.

I like that take.  I tried to do this in fstar-mode: by default, opening an F*
file will also re-enable the toolbar in F* buffers even if it was previously
hidden by the user, and most users don't seem to re-disable it.  In fact, many
users seem to use them even for features that are bound to convenient keys.  I
have seen the same thing for beginner users of Proof General (PG also includes
specialized toolbars).