Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 17:12:20 +0100

> Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 2020 at 3:17 PM
> From: "Eric S Fraga" <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
> To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
>
> Although I disabled the toolbar when it first appeared (in the dim and
> distant past), I think it's a good idea to leave them on by
> default.  They are easy enough to disable and provide help for the true
> neophyte.  In fact, learning how to disable the toolbar is probably a
> good first exercise in customizing your Emacs!

Quite correct.  If we really want to modernise emacs, we got to become
serious.  There is a section of people who do not want graphical
elements, and the question was there mainly to appease programmers
who want old style customisation (no menu, no scrollbars, etc).

Toolbars are there so people who use the mouse can enable frequently
used commands using the mouse.  If the plan is enhancement, then.

1. Let Emacs enable people to add things to the toolbar for commands,
   without having to use elisp programming.  The survey suggests that
   those focused on elisp are a minority.