Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 10:26:53 +0100

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> That doesn't imply that most users want toolbars.  Maybe hardly anyone
> wants toolbars.
>
> So here's an idea.  We could make Emacs display, where the toolbar
> would have been, a question:
>
>    Would you like a toolbar here or not?   Yes   No
>
> If you click Yes, that customizes to permanently turn on the toolbar.
> If you click No, that customizes to permanently turn off the toolbar.

I think that sounds slightly intrusive...  but we certainly could have
something in the menu area for that: A mouse-3 popup that switches the
toolbar on/off, for instance.

> Each one could offer to click on a web page where you could
> register your preference.  That way we would get a complete sample.

I'm not very enthusiastic about that -- it smacks a bit of
"telemetry".  We don't want Emacs to be seen as a piece of software that
"phones home" and leaks data.