Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 07:16:05 +0100

Dear Richard,

I like the way toolbars are implemented in Gimp.  One can remove the toolbar
because
it is set up in another frame.  Similar to the speedbar.  If emacs could do the
same,
the toolbar can be disabled and you would not have the problem of vertical
shifting.

Alternatively, one could make the toolbar functionality appear as an additional
MenuItem
that you could detach.  By keeping two screens - one side emacs, the other with
the detached
toolbar, a mouse clicking tool, and a virtual keyboard - one can mark quite
well.

The problem with all this is whether the trend is to get rid of toolbars
altogether.  That's
the  real problem.  If a way can be found that does not require the toolbar to
take space
on the frame, it could make people who do not want it happy.  The others can
have the freedom
to develop the toolbar or do work for others with it.  I would be willing to
include it in
my Behistun Package, although have not planned on it.  Then send they code for
inclusion
in emacs.  But first one has to see how the emacs code on toolbars is applied
differently
by the maintaners as they adapt to the many people that insist on not having
the toolbar
visible.

Have not coded in GTK for a long time.

Regards