Re: Let's make Emacs mainstream (through org-mode)

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Let's make Emacs mainstream (through org-mode)
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 17:14:44 +0300

* James Lu <jamtlu@gmail.com> [2020-12-16 00:52]:
> I spent months of my life researching todo app.

Please provide hyperlink to that TODO app.

> Every single todo list app would approximate some person's ideal
> todo list app, but every person complained it was missing *one*
> feature they needed.  Emacs org-mode solves this problem.

While I do love Org mode like you I cannot see it comparable to many
other free software that are dedicated for note taking or project
planning and offer so much better interface, clean of disturbances.

Joplin
https://joplinapp.org/

Turtleapp note taking application
https://turtlapp.com/download/

Cherrytree - hierarchical note taking application with rich text and syntax
highlighting
https://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/

TiddlyWiki note taking in a browser
https://tiddlywiki.com/

> Either an app had too few buttons or too many buttons.
> Emacs org-mode solves this problem.

Well maybe it solves, maybe not, I rather think it does not solve as
good as many other applications.

Many applications work on mobile phones, Emacs does work on mobile
phone but not as good and not as accessible application. Many other
applications solve planning and TODO, tasks actions, project so much
better on mobile phones and some work on desktop and mobile phones
together. People use mobile devices for planning today maybe 50% even.

> Let's stop messing with code.
>
> Let's start hacking.

I like the enthusiasm.  I also like that it will take next 30 years
of fun.

> Clever hacking is doing the impossible.
> Let's start writing GFDL guides and selling them.

I guess Emacs manual may be purchased from FSF.

> Let's start selling support plans.

Why not.

> Let's start making Emacs org-mode a hot trend.

Well, it is popular more among advanced users.

> Let's make the website RMS suggested where you can ask questions on
> org-mode, and see public answers.
>
> Who's with me?

To install such software is easy. It needs consent and approval by GNU
project.

It should be there. Because there is none, people go to Reddit,
Stackexchange, etc.

Here are good options to consider and all free software:

Question2answer:
https://www.question2answer.org/
https://www.question2answer.org/qa/

Scoold:
https://scoold.com/ and how it looks like: https://live.scoold.com/

Talkyard:
https://insightful.demo.talkyard.io/latest

And that other first option too.

Once back in time I made it myself.

It should be made under GNU control and without any account and
tracking. Just ask the question. Whoever is supervising the website
can remove those spam entries.

Jean