Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: John Yates
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 15:09:26 -0500

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 12:20 PM Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:

> But OTOH we have other buttons (New file, Open, Undo, Cut and Paste)
> that a lot of users expect from a text editor.

My sense is that such buttons made sense when a smaller fraction of the
population was computer literate.  These days I would expect them only
on the most simplistic of editors, those still addressing absolute beginners.

Folk using more featureful editors (emacs or otherwise) can be assumed
to have already mastered some of the fundamentals of editing text.  Put
another way, can we not assume that anyone, even those using emacs
for the very first time, has some notion of key bindings (even if those are
C-c, C-x and C-v) and expects New, Open, Save, SaveAs and Close on
a File menu?

/john