Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey: Toolbars
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 14:53:18 +0100

It is evident how a lot of the reasoning is flawed!  Making something harder
than it needs to be
is good.  Only Conmen complicate things more than they should be.  And only a
genius simplifies
complicated things.

One of the most surprising aspects of this study is how often programmers have
been proved not only
wrong, but grossly and disastrously wrong in their prescriptions for the ills
of society -- and how
little their views have changed in response to empirical evidence of the
disasters entailed by those
views.

Emacs core contributors is and probably should remain small

Making something harder than it needs to be does ensure a certain competence.
Manual transmission cars
are another example of such natural gatekeeping. You were more assured of a new
driver's roadworthiness
if she could work a clutch, more so than if she relied on electronic assists to
parallel park.

Christopher Dimech
General Administrator - Naiad Informatics - GNU Project (Geocomputation)
- Geophysical Simulation
- Geological Subsurface Mapping
- Disaster Preparedness and Mitigation
- Natural Resource Exploration and Production
- Free Software Advocacy