Re: Tramp and conversion of \r\n into \n

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp and conversion of \r\n into \n
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 13:50:04 +0100

APEL Martin <Martin.APEL@3ds.com> writes:

> Hi Michael,

Hi Martin,

> I built an Emacs version from the current master branch and tried it out:
> lsp-mode works well with a remote clangd now.

Thanks for the feedback.

> Unfortunately there are
> some other problems, which do not occur with Emacs 27.1 and which
> might be related to TRAMP:
> - my remote compile setup does not work anymore. It seems that the
> arguments to the invoked compile command are lost on the way to the
> remote machine
> - rgrep on a remote machine also does not work. It produces a list of
> files it intends to search instead of the grep output

Direct async calls are new in Emacs 28, so they might not work yet in
all cases. Pls run your test with tramp-verbose set to 10, and send me
the debug traces in both cases. It would also good to know, how compile
and rgrep are invoked.

> - I also encountered an error message from TRAMP once. Unfortunately I
> restarted Emacs afterwards, so I don't have the exact error
> message. It was something about a recursive call detected and a
> sentinel was mentioned.

This is not related to the lsp-mode change, but rather to hardening
Tramp detecting blocking situations (you've seen my message about "Tramp
and timers"). Process sentinels are also affected.

In order to circumvent this, you might add to your .emacs

(setq debug-ignored-errors (cons 'remote-file-error debug-ignored-errors))

> Best Regards,
>
> Martin

Best regards, Michael.