Re: Emacs HTTP libraries [was: Re: How to contribute new package to GNU

From: Philip K.
Subject: Re: Emacs HTTP libraries [was: Re: How to contribute new package to GNU ELPA?]
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 17:59:00 +0100

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Would people please tell me what new capabilities you aim to have
> in this new facility?  How would it be better than using url.el
> or running curl as a subprocess?
>
> What jobs do you think of using it for?
>
> I'm concerned that it may add a substantial amount of complexity
> that we could do without.  I'm also concerned about how it might
> deal with Javascript code.

I think the main issue is that url.el can often be rather slow,
sometimes taking half a minute or more to complete a request that would
take curl or other libraries a blink of an eye.

If curl or whatever other method could be used to accelerate url.el, a
lot of application in Emacs would become more feasible to use, without
having to rewrite anything.

Request.el is another story, and I can't comment on that. It's probably
just like with dash/s/f/... where non-elisp developers dislike the
built-in API, but I'm just guessing.

--
        Philip K.