Re: Emacs HTTP libraries [was: Re: How to contribute new package to GNU

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs HTTP libraries [was: Re: How to contribute new package to GNU ELPA?]
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 19:15:39 +0200

> From: "Philip K." <philipk@posteo.net>
> Cc: arthur.miller@live.com, adam@alphapapa.net, rms@gnu.org,
>       emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 17:59:19 +0100
>
> >> Either way, this simple request took over 2.5 minutes, whereas curl
> >> requires a quarter of a second. Note that this is even unencrypted, so
> >> this is not even taking the encryption overhead into account.
> >
> > That's strange, because I get here much faster times: 0.6 sec (with 3
> > GC cycles) on the first attempt, and less than 0.1 sec afterwards.
>
> Why did it take three GC cycles?

There's no way for me to know.  It could well be that the previous
commands, which had nothing to do with the benchmark, produced enough
garbage for GC to kick in at that point.

> benchmark-run says
>
>     (130.773534384 0 0.0)
>
> and
>
>     (129.933227402 0 0.0)
>
> for the first two runs, and
>
>     (0.044592597 0 0.0)
>
> for the third one, a bit later.

The last one sounds comparable to what I see.  So maybe the long time
has nothing to do with Emacs, but with something else.  Perhaps this
is because DNS is asynchronous on your system?

> I guess this should be reported as a proper bug, instead of being
> discussed here.

Yep.