Re: Emacs as a word processor

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Emacs as a word processor
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2020 10:53:06 +0100

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> * Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> [2020-12-22 22:58]:

>> > Because it is GNU project.
>>
>> Ok :-).
>>
>> So we can switch all to texmacs? Does it syntax highlight C/C++ and run
>> Helm? :-)
>
> I know is fun but let us think about it.
>
> Probably it does not offer syntax highlight, but it is not impossible
> as it can use scheme as extension language.
Sceme, CL, EL, NL, PL ... its just lists anyway. I don't think should
focus too much on the lisp dialect. Compiler might make a difference,
but now you are getting native compiler for Elisp via gcc backend, so I
think it is option for performance then guile.

> From there I can just think that scheme could provide communication
> with Emacs.
Scheme is probably not mandatory for the communication with Emacs. You
can do communication via pipes or files or similar. But it is not much
of wyiswyin *in emacs* if you open another application. If that would be
the case user can just open Libre Office and use it. To be honest, I
don't see why Emacs needs to become another word processor, but if it is a
desire, it would be a fun to implement it :-).

> My personal way of writing a book would be to rather write it as text
> and THEN to format the chapters, text, justifications, etc. In general
> I would let TeX and LaTeX decide about those issues.
You are probably correct about that. I have never written a book, but if
I ever would I probably wouldn't use either Word or Writer, I would
probably use some tool based on Emacs.