Re: Internationalize Emacs's messages (swahili)

From: Tomas Hlavaty
Subject: Re: Internationalize Emacs's messages (swahili)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 01:19:12 +0100

On Sun 27 Dec 2020 at 18:55, "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> wrote:
>    (> (length foo) 10)
>
>    uselessly counts (max 0 (- (length foo) 10)) items (+/- off by one
>    error?)
>
> There are more things in life than lists

(elisp) Programming Tips

   • Use lists rather than vectors, except when there is a particular
     reason to use a vector.  Lisp has more facilities for manipulating
     lists than for vectors, and working with lists is usually more
     convenient.

     Vectors are advantageous for tables that are substantial in size
     and are accessed in random order (not searched front to back),
     provided there is no need to insert or delete elements (only lists
     allow that).

> ...  length on a char-table or a string is constant.

We are not trying to solve non-issue here.

>    The bad code _is already_ in Emacs.
>
> Then that code should be fixed, it will be needed to be fixed anyway
> -- a new function won't fix it magically.

Yes.  But that code will not fix itself magically on its own.  Somebody
will have to do it.  The new predicates address this need and will help
the person to do it easily and without introducing bugs.