Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 22:10:06 +0000

1) In general `C-x g` is used by magit; I know this is not a priority (cause magit is an external package), but magit is a very popular package.

Emacs is free to use the free C-x LETTER slots. There were only 5 such free slots until a few days ago: c g j w x.

3) In spite of revert-buffer is a very useful command it is useless in many conditions like when auto-revert-mode is enable... so maybe it makes sense to bind it to something longer (ex: C-x g r)??

There are more commands that could be set in a map inside C-x g IMHO: toggle-read-only
revert-buffer-with-fine-grain
something to enable/disable font-lock etc

I agree with you that these free slots should probably be used as prefix commands. I also agree with you that revert-buffer is perhaps not useful enough to use a single letter C-x slot. I would suggest something like:

C-x g c = clone-buffer
C-x g d = diff-buffers
C-x g f = fit-frame-to-buffer
C-x g h = hexl-mode