Re: Concern about new binding.

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Concern about new binding.
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 01:56:42 +0100

On Tue, Feb 02, 2021 at 10:10:06PM +0000, Gregory Heytings wrote:

I agree with you that these free slots should probably be used as prefix commands. I also agree with you that revert-buffer is perhaps not useful enough to use a single letter C-x slot. I would suggest something like:

C-x g c = clone-buffer
C-x g d = diff-buffers
C-x g f = fit-frame-to-buffer
C-x g h = hexl-mode
C-x g i = insert-buffer
C-x g l = font-lock-mode
C-x g n = rename-buffer
C-x g r = revert-buffer
C-x g R = revert-buffer-with-fine-grain
C-x g t = toggle-truncate-lines

and so forth.

Hi Gregory:

Here I totally agree with you.

Personally I prefer to keep the `C-x g` free; BUT if it is going to be
taken, then we should use a map and not a single command (specially not
one so unhelpful)

I won't send any other email about this because I tend to spam too
much.
But Eli, Stefan, Lars... Do you approve this change? At least revert the
binding?

Because if we forget this now, after some time it will require
deprecation and years...

Best,
Ergus