RE: [External] : Re: Current mode command discovery

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Current mode command discovery
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 23:30:03 +0000

> Like I said before: instead of removing what
> seems irrelevant, make them appear after the
> relevant parts.  Otherwise we will lose
> information when we guess wrong (which is an
> easy mistake to make, since the assumption
> that the user always wants only the commands
> from the current major mode is not always true).

I agree.

(But I would say less relevant, not irrelevant.
Even a command you can't invoke can be relevant
for use by `M-x', especially - but not only -
with a completion framework that lets `M-x' do
more than just invoke.)

FWIW -

The approach you describe is similar to the one
taken for key completion in library keysee.el
or Icicles.  You can sort by any of these orders:

 * By key name alphabetically, prefix keys first
 * By key name alphabetically, local keys first
 * By command name alphabetically
 * Off - no sorting

And with either library sortie.el or Icicles you
can hit a key (`C-,' by default) to cycle during
completion among whatever sort orders are available.
___

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/KeySee

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Sortie

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Key_Completion