Re: [External] : Re: command mode-specificity [was: scratch/command 064f

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: command mode-specificity [was: scratch/command 064f146 1/2: Change...]
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 00:05:58 +0200

On 17.02.2021 22:21, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

The feature is there, available for testing with a simple
customization.  I didn't delete the feature.  It is normal for us to
introduce new features as opt-in; the reverse is unusual, and in this
case I don't see why we would make such an unusual step.  The feature
is quite minor.

It's somewhat unusual in that it depends on network effects (on package maintainers to actually tag their commands) to work well.

The chance of keeping it the default can be an encouragement to work out the kinks and reach some compromises, too.

Making it on by default is still on the table, but IMO it's premature,
if not plain wrong, to make such decisions before we see the feature
in its more-or-less final form.  The discussion doesn't seem to be
anywhere near winding up, and neither are new and useful ideas about
it.

I hope you're right, and this doesn't result in one side losing interest (because the feature is off and doesn't bother their work anymore) and the other side not wanting to change much anymore because of "it's optional, we like how it works already, and if you don't, you don't have to use it" line of thinking.