Re: Ugly regexps

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Ugly regexps
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2021 16:25:58 +0200

From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2021 21:58:17 +0200
Cc: monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, emacs-devel@gnu.org

On 03.03.2021 21:21, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
And ERE isn't?

To be fair, extended regular expressions are the regular expressions
flavor most commonly used in the contemporary world, recent/popular
programming languages, etc.

So for a lot of people this won't be +1 thing to learn.

So we are now going to cater to users of other programs more than we
cater to Emacs users who are used to the Emacs RE syntaxes?  How does
that make sense?  Do other programs prefer the Emacs RE syntax to
their own?

Not "more". Just make an extra (fairly small) effort to accommodate them.

We have rx for many years, and just recently enhanced it
significantly.  I fail to see how it would make sense to introduce yet
another RE syntax into Emacs, with all the overhead that brings with
it.  Maybe it could make sense as an ELPA add-on, but not in core.

The 'ere' function would be helpful to have in the core either way. As already mentioned in this thread, I have been using an equivalent of it for 5 years now.

More generally, I wish we stopped investing so much of our time and
energy in cleanups and other support tasks, and more to add
significant new applications and editing features.  That would make
more users happier, I think.

Perhaps if contributors didn't have to fight you about every little thing they need to change or fix (or if you responded to arguments, at least), we'll get more features over time. This is especially discouraging when the disagreement is over a minor change in a package I supposedly maintain (bug#44611 is the most glaring example).

I can't threaten to slam the door and leave every time this happens, but this kind of malarkey sucks out a significant amount of time and enthusiasm.