Re: master b341e86 * CONTRIBUTE: Refer to gnulib for request-assign.futu

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: master b341e86 * CONTRIBUTE: Refer to gnulib for request-assign.future.
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2021 20:37:07 -0400

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> First, Gnulib is a separate project.  Did the GNU Project made them
> responsible for distributing the official up-to-date version of the
> assignment forms?  If so, then pointing to them is okay, I guess.

request-assign.future hasn't changed in nine years.
As has been said, "Information for Maintainers of GNU Software" lists
Gnulib as a possible place to get the file.
If it ever changes, I trust the Gnulib maintainers to keep their copy
up-to-date. And if someone fills in an old version, assign@gnu can just
ask for more info.

(I don't know why these files aren't simply hosted on a GNU/FSF website.)

> But if not, then we just told our contributors to go to yet another
> place, unrelated to Emacs, which is one more obstacle, albeit a minor one.

I think fetching a web page is less of an obstacle than posting to a
(moderated) mailing list.

> And what if the Gnulib repository or the Git on savannah in general is
> down?

We might as well ask, what if the emacs-devel mailing list is down?
In either case, I trust the FSF/Savannah admins will fix it, as they
have done in the past.
(Also, the Gnulib git repository is mirrored on non-gnu sites.)

(FTR request-assign.future is not the copyright assignment form, it is
the brief pre-form questionnaire one fills out in order to get a form.)