Re: 'M-o' ('facemap-keymap') has now been removed until March 10th 2021

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: 'M-o' ('facemap-keymap') has now been removed until March 10th 2021
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 19:09:49 +0200

> Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 19:09:33 +1000
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From:  "Paul W. Rankin" via "Emacs development discussions."
> <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> > I'm curious how you will explain to the author of font-lock-fontify-buffer
> > that his command has no bugs, when he thinks it has and would like to
> > obsolete it.  The first message is at
> > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2021-03/msg00581.html .
>
> Thanks for the link. I've looped in Stefan so he can tell me I'm wrong, but...
>
> I think the issue you describe, where yanked text includes previous text
> properties without font-lock-mode active is expected behaviour. You can
> control this behaviour with the variable `yank-excluded-properties'. (Eli I'm
> surprised you didn't use this?)

Of course I use yank-excluded-properties!  But manually tweaking that
variable each time I intend to yank some text (which would require
first to find out which properties are in that text) is much less
convenient than typing "M-o M-o", don't you agree?  And adding face
properties permanently to yank-excluded-properties would get in the
way of the use cases where I do want faces to be copied.

Btw, the "without font-lock-mode active" part is not the situation I
was talking about.  Remember: global-font-lock-mode is now t by
default, so bumping into a buffer where font-lock-mode isn't active is
quite hard...