Re: [External] : Re: Improvement proposals for `completing-read'

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Improvement proposals for `completing-read'
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 23:12:04 +0300

On 08.04.2021 22:46, Drew Adams wrote:
Another approach would be to add a new "extra property"
or metadata element which will say "don't remove duplicates".

I mentioned variable `icicle-transform-function', whose
most common values are `icicle-remove-duplicates' and
nil (which means don't remove dups).

(Like such a variable, completion metadata is an
aggregate operation: it applies to a set of completions,
not to just this or that completion.)

`icicle-transform-function' is applied to all candidates,
and it can do anything.

A general completion table does specify any `icicle-transform-function`, and it wouldn't know how.

Some standard, cross-frontend approach would be required.

I do think it's questionable, though, to include
completions that are hard to distinguish.

Don't confuse looking different in *Completions*, at the
outset and always, with easy to distinguish.  There are
other ways to make them appear different - from mode-line
to ephemeral appearance changes in *Completions*.  There
is more than one way to skin this cat.

Ephemeral appearance changes could be good enough. Or icons, like on the attached video.