Re: Increase default `line-spacing' to 0.05, 0.10 or 0.15 [proposal]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Increase default `line-spacing' to 0.05, 0.10 or 0.15 [proposal]
Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 19:29:19 +0300

> Date: Thu, 06 May 2021 16:21:20 +0000
> From: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
> cc: jporterbugs@gmail.com, arstoffel@gmail.com, stefankangas@gmail.com,
>     emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> >> \baselineskip=0pt means that the height and depth of a text line is
> >> equal to the maximal height and depth of the characters in that line.
> >> See the attached two screenshots that demonstrate the difference.
> >
> > That's what Emacs does as well, when line-spacing is nil, but Augusto
> > says they are different.
>
> Unless I'm missing something, that's not what Emacs does, no.  I attach
> two screenshots of the exact same text with the exact same font, one with
> Emacs (setq line-spacing nil) and the other with TeX (\baselineskip=0pt).
> The effect is very different.

Then your description of what TeX does is probably incomplete or
inaccurate.

on the Emacs side, I can point you to the code which implements
line-spacing, which clearly shows that if line-spacing is nil, the
default, we add NOTHING (a.k.a. "zero") to the height of the line,
leaving it at its computed value of the sum of the maximum ascent and
maximum descent of the glyphs in that line.