Re: Small shell-mode patch to handle auto-cd (e.g. shells like zsh)

From: Jason Kim
Subject: Re: Small shell-mode patch to handle auto-cd (e.g. shells like zsh)
Date: Sat, 8 May 2021 09:39:48 -0700

Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, shivers@cs.cmu.edu, jason.kim@revtera.com
From: Jason Kim <jason.w.kim@icloud.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 09:35:16 -0700

Should this variable's value be computed automatically based on the
shell's name?

I don't think so... If only because its an option that needs enabling in
zsh as well?

Sorry, I don't think I understand.  My understanding was that this
feature is supported by some shells whose names are known in advance
(like zsh), so Emacs could compute the value as appropriate for that
shell without asking the user to set it.  If this is not a good idea,
can you explain why?

Hi, sorry for the confusion -
auto-cd feature in zsh is optional. It is not on by default, and I don't know of a good way to detect whether a zsh process tied to a shell buffer has that option turned on.

I think having this as a switch that individual users can set is probably the simplest way to handle this. AFAIK other common shells (bash, csh) doesn't yet have this feature either. In other words, it's the user's choice to use zsh, and the user's choice whether to turn that feature on.

I do cd's all the time (prolly same for most folks), and I hate repeatedly typing a command to do it, so it's a neat feature in zsh that would be nice to support within emacs shell mode.

Thanks for reading.
I hope I made it clear.

Thank you!
-Jason