Re: src/nsterm.m: fix window tabbing on macOS

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: src/nsterm.m: fix window tabbing on macOS
Date: Thu, 13 May 2021 22:05:00 +0100

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 03:46:54PM +1000, Paul W. Rankin via Emacs development
discussions. wrote:
> On 2021-05-13 07:23, Alan Third wrote:
> > > The only thing that's a little weird is that this tab bar is not
> > > visible
> > > when in full screen, requiring moving the mouse up to reveal it. It
> > > would
> > > clearer what's happening if the tab bar behaved more like
> > > Terminal.app when
> > > in full screen: opening more than a single tab keeps the tab bar
> > > visible (in
> > > full screen or windowed).
> >
> > Isn't that how all the window chrome works in fullscreen? Do we do
> > some special thing to hide the toolbar? Perhaps we should rethink that
> > (although enough people run in fullscreen all the time that I suspect
> > that change would be genuinely contentious).
>
> You're right and I can't find another macOS app with a tab bar that behaves
> the way Emacs.app does, so I gotta assume there is something somewhere
> overriding the Cocoa window manager behaviour. But I'm really only qualified
> to guess; I looked through nsterm.m and changed a few suspected BOOL values
> and recompiled a few times but nothing had an effect on the hidden tab bar.
>
> Relatedly, tool-bar-mode is in the same boat; hidden in full screen, but
> probably shouldn't be.

Search in nsterm.m for "autohide", there are a couple of places where
hiding various bits and bobs is done, all related to fullscreen
afaict.

I'm not on a Mac just now or I'd try removing them all to see what it
does.

As I said, I suspect this change could be contentious, so we may want
to provide a variable to enable or disable it.

👍
--
Alan Third