Re: [ELPA?] Controlling Isearch from the minibuffer

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: [ELPA?] Controlling Isearch from the minibuffer
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 21:20:09 +0300

>>> Tests for `(null isearch-message-function)' were added as a temporary
>>> workaround until lazy count will be implemented in the minibuffer.
>>> We need to remove these workarounds anyway.  So using
>>> isearch-message-function
>>> should be the right thing to do.
>>
>> Okay, that' a low hanging fruit then.
>
> I've attached a patch.  I can't see any deleterious effect for the
> minibuffer and comint, which are the two places that set
> `isearch-message-function' in Emacs.

Do you see the correct lazy-count values in the minibuffer and comint
after removing `(null isearch-message-function)'?

> -          (funcall (or isearch-message-function #'isearch-message)))
> +          (isearch-message))

What do you think about adding `isearch-message' as the default value
of isearch-message-function?  E.g.

#+begin_src diff
-(defvar isearch-message-function nil
+(defvar isearch-message-function #'isearch-message
#+end_src