Re: [ELPA?] Controlling Isearch from the minibuffer

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: [ELPA?] Controlling Isearch from the minibuffer
Date: Tue, 25 May 2021 23:50:27 +0300

>> Now, I took a closer look at the history of changes around lazy
>> highlight and the interactions with other features seems very tricky.
>> I'm not super confident about the patch I'm attaching, but if you are
>> willing to review it and test a bit, I hope it helps.
>
> Everything looks right, but this needs more testing before pushing.

Testing revealed some problems:

1. After enabling isearch-lazy-count, modes that use lazy-highligh,
   such as e.g. query-replace displays the isearch message
   overwriting query-replace prompt.  Maybe this is because of the
   removed check for 'isearch-mode' in isearch-lazy-highlight-* functions?

2. Using 'C-q' (isearch-quote-char) in the minibuffer or comint
   displays a truncated string, e.g. on 'M-! C-r C-q C-a'.
   Maybe the default message function should be called directly
   in isearch-quote-char?

3. Maybe the same default message function should be called directly
   also in some other functions like isearch-lazy-highlight-new-loop
   and isearch-lazy-highlight-buffer-update?