Re: macOS metal rendering engine in mac port

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: macOS metal rendering engine in mac port
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 22:22:50 +0300

> From: Aaron Jensen <aaronjensen@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 12:02:33 -0700
> Cc: Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>       YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp>
>
> > About 17% to 20% difference.  Still quite mild, I'd say.
>
> Can you share your times with line numbers and without? My % varies
> wildly based on rendering time. That is, when I try different
> renderers the delta in seconds stays the same, but the % increase goes
> up as the rendering gets smaller.

If the delta in seconds is the same, it probably means the variations
in total time are independent of the issue we are discussing.  The
face merging is entirely in platform-independent code, which knows
nothing about the actual writing to the glass.

As for times: do you want an optimized or an unoptimized build?  Does
it matter if it's Emacs 27 or 28?  And does it matter that my builds
are 32-bit builds --with-wide-int, which slows down Emacs by about
30%?  When I know which numbers you want to see, I will produce them.
(Of course, it is easier for me to produce numbers from a build I
already have, otherwise I'd need to build it first.)