Re: cc-mode fontification feels random

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: cc-mode fontification feels random
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2021 13:39:52 +0300

> From: João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  Daniel Colascione <dancol@dancol.org>,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org,  ubolonton@gmail.com
> Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2021 11:08:48 +0100
>
> - However, LSP support for fontification seems like it's potentially
>   _less_ efficient than integrating something like tree-sitter as a C
>   module in Emacs.  That's because the contents of the buffer and
>   fontification results are continually transmitted back and forth via
>   pipes and JSON format.

The communication of buffer contents to these agents/servers is indeed
one aspect of the existing packages (those I had time to look at) that
I personally am unhappy about.  Sending the whole buffer or its large
chunks down the wire as buffer-substring (which requires encoding to
be correct) is non-scalable, especially if it also requires conversion
to JSON.  A core feature cannot work that way, IMO.

Unfortunately, every discussion about the alternatives, at least those
in which I participated, ended with nothing, although I think a much
better solution is possible and even not too hard.