Re: Q: What is default architecture for code produced by native compiler

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Q: What is default architecture for code produced by native compiler?
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2021 04:49:57 +0200

Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org> writes:

> Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:
>
>> Just wonder, is it generic x86 or something later or does it uses
>> native for architecture and cpu flags (-march=native and -mcpu=native)?
>
> I'd say is GCC's default.
>
>> If it is generic, do we have option to pass in arch and cpu flags?
>
> No we don't, even if we could expose it using
> 'gcc_jit_context_add_command_line_option' for non obsolete versions of
> GCC.
>
> Regards
>
>   Andrea
I am sorry to bother, but I have just seen:

(defcustom native-comp-driver-options nil
  "Options passed verbatim to the native compiler's back-end driver.
Note that not all options are meaningful; typically only the options
affecting the assembler and linker are likely to be useful.

Passing these options is only available in libgccjit version 9
and above."
  :type '(repeat string)                ; FIXME is this right?
  :version "28.1")

I have tested with:

(setq native-comp-driver-options '("-march=native" "-mcpu=native"))

but I see no difference in emitted code when I dissaemble produced binaries.