Re: Q: What is default architecture for code produced by native compiler

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Q: What is default architecture for code produced by native compiler?
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 18:02:55 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, akrl@sdf.org
>> From: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
>> Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 10:02:16 +0200
>>
>>  > Btw, -O3 is not recommended, as it frequently produces a slower Emacs.
>>
>> Where do we say that?
>
> I don't think we do.  It's my personal recommendation, disregard it at
> will.
I have learned that most of your personal suggestions are very sane, so I would
be interested to learn more. If you can recommend some good benchmark I would be
interested to do comparisons. I am not sure how to test it myself.

I used to compile with -Ofast and some simd parallel flags; I had to turn off
some precies math and so, and I have seen it used to link with simd inabled libs
for strcopy and some other, but I don't know how  much impact it has.

>> INSTALL has
>>
>> Here's an example of a 'configure' invocation, assuming a Bourne-like
>> shell such as Bash, which uses these variables:
>>
>>    ./configure \
>>      CPPFLAGS='-I/foo/myinclude' LDFLAGS='-L/bar/mylib' \
>>      CFLAGS='-O3' LIBS='-lfoo -lbar'
>
> It's just an example, buried deep in a file that I doubt many people
> read.  But feel free to use -Og or -Os there, if you think people
> could draw some unwanted conclusions from that example.

I never saw that either, I just am aware that I can pass compiler flags to
configure script.