Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 16:26:41 +0300

On 03.09.2021 15:45, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
The problem with variables with indent-tabs-mode and
require-final-newline is they affect Emacs's behavior in ways that
aren't apparent to a new user, or to a beginner programmer. And then
they can cause problems for the teammates who aren't even using Emacs.

Having a profile unassumingly called "Dmitry Gutov's Preferences" (who
would want to enable THAT, right?), which would need to be enabled to
avoid these issues, is a usability problem.
I'd start by collecting the relevant settings.  E.g., if those 4 are
the only ones, or close to that, then perhaps a single profile named
"convenience" or somesuch would be enough.  But I suspect there are
many more, so we'd need to divide them into groups, and then name each
group accordingly.

A private email reminded me of a certain suggestion that has been made in this area. And here is a possible twist on the proposal:

What if we do introduce the "profiles" feature, *and* we change our practice to alter the defaults more easily as well? Including radical, mutinous ones, like indent-tabs-mode -> nil. Not all of them, of course, but with more of an eye toward being useful for new users (violent discussions about the default values will continue, but will sometimes results in changes, too).

And to avoid the problems with Emacs's default moving forward, we introduce a profile called "Good Old Days" which the folks who prefer things to generally stay the same, would enable, just once. Going forward, every time we change some default, we would consider adding the previous value to that profile. Or even do that automatically.