Re: Why not set Emacs development workflow based on the popular git forg

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Why not set Emacs development workflow based on the popular git forges (GitHub, Bitbucket, Gitlab, ect)?
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 21:28:48 +0800

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:

> If so, I don't think there is such a complete free platform in the
> world, even the SourceHut you mentioned below, which is also operated,
> at least in part, as a commercial product. OTOH, Linux kernel [1] has
> already adopted GitHub as its development platform, which is also
> complete free and a classic example of successful free software.

When GNU software refers to "free", it is inevitably used to mean
"freedom".  In this case, it means the ability of a user to use a
network service without running proprietary software.

Furthermore, there is also the requirement that the flagship program of
the GNU project, naturally, must be hosted on a GNU project server,
which requires that the software running the service must itself be free
software.

> I can't say anything. Almost all Emacs developers and users are
> excellent programmers/scientists/engineers. But excellent people also
> have their own beliefs, quirks and their inner bottom line. Sometimes
> it may not be consistent with the prevailing trend, just like the
> existence of Emacs itself.

But Emacs doesn't exist to be consistent with a prevailing trend.  It
exists to better the GNU system.

> Technically speaking, I think there are so many guys in Emacs
> community have enough ability to do this.

There undoubtedly are, but none of them have stepped up to do the work.
Plus, things are cozy as they stand.

> [1] https://github.com/torvalds/linux

Does that count as full adoption? If so, so does this:
https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs

Cheers!