Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 21:16:23 +0300

On 04.09.2021 16:46, Stefan Monnier wrote:
My religion tells me that $DEITY has clearly specified TABs to have
a width of 8.  But of late, I've found heretics using 4 to be arguably
more frequent than the true believers.

In Python they survive by using an indentation style that makes the TAB
width non-significant (i.e. every line is indented exclusively with
TABs).

I've seen (and had participated in) this trend as well, but AFAICT there is still no consensus on the subject among editors' default settings.

Some can correct me if I'm wrong.

And I guess one thing to worry about is as long as this setting is only changed in a profile but not in stock Emacs (which seems infeasible), we are fragmenting the user base and risk worse interoperability for contributors on Emacs-related projects.

Which, I don't know, in the end might only matter for patches sent for Emacs itself (the rest of Elisp projects use spaces).