Re: Developing a PHP package

From: Hugo Thunnissen
Subject: Re: Developing a PHP package
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 18:44:05 +0000

> I'll let Emacs maintainers decide whether they want it in the core, but
> I'd be happy to add it to GNU ELPA.  In both cases we'd first need you
> to sign some copyright paperwork anyway.  If you're OK with that, please
> fill the form after my sig and send it to the FSF as instructed so they
> can send you the appropriate paperwork to sign.

Great, elpa is probably the best place to start anyways :). That
papwerwork won't be a problem.

>> - The parser is currently only used for completion, but could
>>   theoretically also be used (with some modifications) to do syntax
>>   highlighting and indentation, making for somewhat of an alternative to
>>   PHP-mode in the future.  Would there be interest in something like
>>   that?
>
> Yes.  Better would be for it to be a *complement* rather than an
> alternative, so that improvements don't need to be duplicated in the
> two packages.

It is my understanding from reading back a bit in in the mailing list
archives that php-mode cannot be merged into emacs, so I thought that
maybe it would make sense use this as the base for a new PHP mode. I
would still have to see whether implementing that is actually practical
though.

> Do you have a Git repository for your code somewhere?

I do now! https://git.sr.ht/~hugot/phpinspect.el . Excuse the lack of
documentation, I haven't found time to write much of that yet.

- Hugo