Re: Developing a PHP package

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Developing a PHP package
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 15:46:22 -0400

>> I'll let Emacs maintainers decide whether they want it in the core, but
>> I'd be happy to add it to GNU ELPA.  In both cases we'd first need you
>> to sign some copyright paperwork anyway.  If you're OK with that, please
>> fill the form after my sig and send it to the FSF as instructed so they
>> can send you the appropriate paperwork to sign.
> Great, elpa is probably the best place to start anyways :).
> That papwerwork won't be a problem.

Excellent.  Let me know when the paperwork is done.

> It is my understanding from reading back a bit in in the mailing list
> archives that php-mode cannot be merged into Emacs, so I thought that
> maybe it would make sense use this as the base for a new PHP mode.
> I would still have to see whether implementing that is actually practical
> though.

Indeed, there are some issues.  This said, `php-mode` is now in NonGNU
ELPA, so an GNU ELPA package is now allowed to depend on `php-mode`.

But that's not necessarily what I had in mind.  I was just thinking of
making sure that the two package collaborate.  E.g. maybe the code in
the current `php-mode` could be split into a part (call it `php-core`)
for which we could get the paperwork (and hence put into GNU ELPA) and
which both packages can use, and try and move as much code as possible
into that `php-core`.

BTW, you might also want to take a look at `phps-mode` which is in GNU ELPA.

>> Do you have a Git repository for your code somewhere?
> I do now! https://git.sr.ht/~hugot/phpinspect.el. Excuse the lack of
> documentation, I haven't found time to write much of that yet.

Thanks.  I'll try and take a quick look at it when I find the time.

        Stefan