Re: Organizing the NEWS file a bit better

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Organizing the NEWS file a bit better
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 22:16:12 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>
> Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 20:53:22 +0200
>
> In general, I guess I also wonder if anyone will protest if I take it
> upon myself to move things around to more sensible places.

No one will protest if you do it right ;-)

> - Under "Changes in Specialized Modes and Packages" things seem thrown
>   in more or less at random.  Do we prefer to order it according to
>   perceived order of importance?

More or less, yes.  However, this is not always easy, so just make
sure that definitely important stuff comes before the rest.

>   Would it make sense to organize it alphabetically?

No, because no one will look for items one by one.  If you are after a
specific item, you will just use C-s.

> - Under "Incompatible Editing Changes" we have several items relating
>   to specialized modes (f90-mode, nroff-mode, vc, project).  Do these
>   entries belong under "Specialized Modes and Packages"?

I agree with Lars that calling out incompatible changes is more
important than having them together with other related items.

Thanks.