Re: Organizing the NEWS file a bit better

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Organizing the NEWS file a bit better
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2021 14:01:42 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>
> Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 11:01:04 +0200
> Cc: Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>, Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>
>
> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > > Perhaps we could try it for Emacs 29?  If we do it soon after cutting
> > > the new branch, it should be easier to change it back if we find any
> > > reason to.
> >
> > What would the lines look like?
> >
> > ** New user option 'use-short-answers'. :DOC:
> >
> > and
> >
> > ** New user option 'use-short-answers'. :NODOC:
> >
> > ?
>
> Yes.

Then PLEASE don't.  This makes the text much harder to read, even
before we consider lines that are long enough to overflow after this
addition.

What is the purpose? to make it easier to find entries that aren't
documented yet?  If so, why not use Occur or somesuch?

> The command 'org-set-tags-command' lines them up like this, which
> helps improve readability:
>
> ** 'open-gnutls-stream' now also accepts a ':coding' argument.          :DOC:
> ** 'process-attributes' now works under OpenBSD, too.                 :NODOC:

IME, Org's tags are intended to be used with relatively short
headings, and these aren't.