Re: master fb061cd 1/4: ; * etc/NEWS: Rearrange and fix wording of some

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master fb061cd 1/4: ; * etc/NEWS: Rearrange and fix wording of some entries.
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 20:33:36 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>  * Changes in Emacs 28.1
>
> -** The new NonGNU ELPA archive is enabled by default alongside GNU ELPA.
[...]
>  * Changes in Specialized Modes and Packages in Emacs 28.1
[...]
>  ** Package
>
> +*** The new NonGNU ELPA archive is enabled by default alongside GNU ELPA.
> +Thus, packages on nonGNU ELPA will appear by default in the list shown
> +by 'list-packages'.

I strongly disagree with this change, for two important reasons:

1. This is not a change only in a specialized mode and package, but in
a very important Emacs default.  The overwhelming majority of our
enthusiast user-base, and likely a large proportion of our user-base,
are using packages every day.  In fact, many users couldn't imagine
using Emacs without them.  It's a mistake if we treat this as some
sort of specialized concern.

2. This is one of the more significant changes in this release, and
deserves its place in the spotlight.  I personally put it up there
together with native-comp as one of the things that really stand out
in this release, and that I believe many will be excited and happy to
hear about.