Re: master fb061cd 1/4: ; * etc/NEWS: Rearrange and fix wording of some

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master fb061cd 1/4: ; * etc/NEWS: Rearrange and fix wording of some entries.
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2021 21:46:12 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se>
> Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 20:33:36 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >  * Changes in Emacs 28.1
> >
> > -** The new NonGNU ELPA archive is enabled by default alongside GNU ELPA.
> [...]
> >  * Changes in Specialized Modes and Packages in Emacs 28.1
> [...]
> >  ** Package
> >
> > +*** The new NonGNU ELPA archive is enabled by default alongside GNU ELPA.
> > +Thus, packages on nonGNU ELPA will appear by default in the list shown
> > +by 'list-packages'.
>
> I strongly disagree with this change, for two important reasons:
>
> 1. This is not a change only in a specialized mode and package, but in
> a very important Emacs default.  The overwhelming majority of our
> enthusiast user-base, and likely a large proportion of our user-base,
> are using packages every day.  In fact, many users couldn't imagine
> using Emacs without them.  It's a mistake if we treat this as some
> sort of specialized concern.
>
> 2. This is one of the more significant changes in this release, and
> deserves its place in the spotlight.  I personally put it up there
> together with native-comp as one of the things that really stand out
> in this release, and that I believe many will be excited and happy to
> hear about.

I agree with all that you say (except the string disagreement ;-), but
users will be oblivious to that change, unless the install packages
from ELPA.  The original entry, as stand-alone text, doesn't have any
practical impact on users that don't install packages, and would just
leave them wondering what is all this about.

IOW, the changed default doesn't affect anyone who doesn't use
package.el.  Which is why I moved it under that section.