Patch proposal: display symbol source code in help buffers

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Patch proposal: display symbol source code in help buffers
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 21:50:35 +0200

Here is my second proposal to bring built-in help on par with external
offerings.

This one is little bit more than just three lines as the previous one was, so I
would really appreciate if I could get some thorough review and testing. It
works fine for me, but Emacs source code is big; so there is always possibility
that something is not displaying correctly. I had thoughts of writing automated
test, a scraper sort of like autloads collects help to collect docs from files
and than call new help routines and compare results, but that would be far more
involved than actually hacking help-mode :).

What I am worried about is how does it work with compressed sources? How do I
test it and what would I need to do to get it to work?

Do I need to manually decompress tar-ed sources or is it already taken care? I
believe, and I hope, that it is, but I am really not at home with how that part
of Emacs work. I appreciate advice and help there, also if someone can test.

Another thing: can I assume that all DEFVAR_LISP statements in .c files end with
a ');$'? I am using this in a regexp to fetch the entire source for those
defvars.

I have tried to be as least intrusive as I could, so everything is in
help-mode.

There is also a defcustom defaulting to nil to enable/disable this, and I think
it should always stay at nil since this can be cpu intensive. I think it
actually works quite well, I see no hickups, but I do run Emacs from surce
directory, and I use it as 'source-directory'. By the way, this patch expects
sources to be found in what this variable shows.

If this would be acceptable, I can write some NEWS and manual, unless someone
more english language savvy would like to help with that one.